Echinacea is a medicinal plant with a pronounced immunostimulating effect.
It is widely used in official and traditional medicine. The most popular dosage forms are echinacea tincture, lozenges and solution, which are prescribed for the treatment and prevention of many diseases, including those in children. Herbal preparations are well tolerated by patients and, in the opinion of patients, have the proper therapeutic effect.
Echinacea is often used to prevent colds or as an anti-inflammatory agent in combination therapy. These tablets for immunity increase the body's resistance to pathogens of bacterial, viral and fungal diseases. They have a pronounced strengthening and protective effect on the body.
Immunostimulating drug of plant origin.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
Can be bought without a doctor's prescription.
How much does echinacea cost in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 100 rubles.
Composition and release form
Echinacea is produced in different forms.
The composition of 1 tablet for sucking:
- active ingredient: echinacea narrow-leaved extract - 200 mg;
- auxiliary components: caramel flavoring - 74 mg, aspartame - 20 mg, magnesium stearate - 6 mg, sorbitol - 800 mg.
Ingredients 1 tablet:
- active ingredient: dry extract of echinacea - 200 mg;
- auxiliary components: milk sugar (lactose monohydrate) - more than 190 mg, potato starch - 100 mg, polyvinylpyrrolidone - 5 mg, calcium stearate - 5 mg.
Ingredients 100 mg of homeopathic granules:
- active ingredient: Echinacea purpurea (Echinacea purpurea) - 1 mg;
- auxiliary component: sugar grains - up to 100 mg.
Ingredients 1 pastilles:
- active ingredient: dry extract of the herb Echinacea - 200 mg;
- auxiliary components: liquid dextrose, sucrose, caramel flavoring, purified water.
Echinacea has a complex chemical composition, providing a complex positive effect on the body. Contains immunostimulating polysaccharides (water-soluble) that can activate cellular immunity: stimulate the granulocyte chemotaxis and increase the phagocytic activity of macrophages. Participates in the release of cytokines, which leads to the proliferation and activation of immunocompetent cells. Accelerates the transformation processes of B-lymphocytes into plasma cells, activates antibody production and T-helper activity.
It has an anti-inflammatory effect. Normalizes metabolic processes, especially in the kidneys and liver. Course treatment leads to an increase in the nonspecific immune response and an improvement in resistance to the effects of negative environmental factors, including viral, fungal, and bacterial infections. Numerous studies have detected activity against herpes viruses, influenza, and others that cause colds, and have shown inhibitory effects on bacterial and tissue hyaluronidase.
However, it cannot be said that echinacea is important for immunity and must be accepted by all people, regardless of the state of the body's defenses. The general opinion of doctors is that interference with the natural work of immunity does not lead to anything good, and without the need to take immunostimulants is definitely not worth it! Application for prevention should also be justified - if a person rarely suffers from colds, it means that the body protects itself well from viruses. To raise immunity, it is not at all necessary to take medications, even if they are plant-based - to eat fairly well and fully, drink enough clean water, be physically active and mentally balanced - this is more than enough!
Indications for use
Tincture and echinacea tablets are effective in such pathological conditions as:
- acute and chronic respiratory diseases;
- ulcerative lesions of the gastrointestinal tract;
- oral infections;
- chronic urinary tract infections;
- low levels of the immune system.
In addition, Echinacea tincture (confirms this confirms) is prescribed for the treatment of trophic skin ulcers and non-healing wounds.
What are the restrictions for taking echinacea drugs? It is necessary to immediately stop taking the medication if side effects appear in the form of a hypersensitivity reaction or an allergy is observed after its use. Echinacea tablets or in another dosage form is contraindicated in such cases:
- with progressive systemic diseases: leukemia, tuberculosis, multiple sclerosis;
- with AIDS and HIV infection;
- if a person has an autoimmune disease;
- until the child reaches the age of 4 years (some drugs until the age of 12 years).
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
It should not be prescribed during pregnancy and lactation, since the safety of the drug in these situations has not been studied.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Echinacea is recommended to be taken after meals. The multiplicity of reception - 3 times a day.
Usually Echinacea is prescribed in a single dose of 1-2 tablets. During exacerbation, administration in combination with antibacterial drugs is shown (single dose): 5 days - 2 tablets, the next 10-20 days (depending on the severity / nature of the disease) - 1 tablet. In the remission phase, the drug is prescribed according to the standard dosing regimen of a course of 10-20 days. If necessary, re-admission.
Resorption tablets / lozenges should be kept in the mouth until completely absorbed.
Usually, Echinacea is prescribed 3-4 times a day, 1 pc. a course of at least 7 days.
Granules should be kept in the mouth until completely dissolved.
The drug is recommended to be taken in compliance with the intervals with food intake (20 minutes before or 1 hour after meals) 2 times a day for 5 granules with a course of 14 days.
The doctor may order recurring courses.
Herbal tea is useful for children and adults with influenza and catarrhal diseases as an auxiliary preventive and tonic
In pharmacies, this product can be purchased in the form of ready-made filter bags for brewing or sachets for making decoction
You can also make tea yourself:
- Take 1 tbsp. spoon chopped dry roots and leaves of the plant, pour 1 cup of boiling water
- Let it brew for an hour, take 0.5 cups of broth with the addition of 1 tsp of natural honey half an hour before meals
- The total daily dose of tea or broth for adults should not exceed 300 ml
Children from 1 to 3 years old are advised to take tea or decoction of Echinacea 30-50 ml 3 times a day. You can add it to regular tea or compote.
Echinacea in pill form can cause unwanted reactions such as:
- swelling of the face;
- labored breathing;
- skin rashes;
- pressure drop;
Echinacea tincture has the following side effects:
- allergic skin reactions (itching, rash, urticaria).
Symptoms of overdose
In clinical practice, there were no cases of overdose of Echinacea in tablet form.
As for the tincture, the symptoms of overdose are:
- dyspeptic disorders;
- increased excitability;
In such situations, carry out the abolition of the drug, washed the stomach and prescribe therapy depending on the symptoms.
During therapy with the drug Echinacea, patients are advised to refrain from driving vehicles and other devices and mechanisms that require high concentration of attention and belong to the list of potentially hazardous activities.
Compatibility with other drugs
To date, information about the interactions of Echinacea with other drugs / substances have not been reported.
Since Echinacea has an immunostimulating effect, combined use with glucocorticosteroids and immunosuppressants can weaken their effect, and combination therapy with cytokines can enhance their effect.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used Echinacea:
- Sasha. In Belarus, they were on holiday in the winter and picked up some kind of infection. They bought cheap gray tablets of Echinacea at a local pharmacy. They really help. Initially, the temperature even rose (although before that there were only snot and cough), then they began to sweat intensively for no apparent reason and stress, and as a result, on the third day, there was no trace of the sickly feeling of the sick person. Echinacea drank completely and that winter had no problems with any infections.
- Valentine I remember this herb from childhood, my grandmother gave her infusions twice a year. This was enough to not get sick in the season of colds, compared with many of their peers. I still use her recipe for making the infusion. An additional advantage is that Echinacea increases vitality and mood.
- Angelica. I often got sore throat and complications and self-treatment did not take long to wait (((They took me to the hospital, treated me for a week, used antibiotics, and then for discharge! Three days later, I felt a sore throat, a runny nose and a strong cough, for another 10 days ( ((I started the treatment anew, but I was advised to give Echinacea capsules. Oh my, how grateful I am to the drug and the counselor !!! The strength reappeared !!! As it was written above, do not abuse !!! Be healthy !!!
Structural analogues of the active substance:
- Echinacea tincture;
- Echinacea purpurea rhizome with fresh tincture roots;
- Echinacea purpurea grass;
- Echinacea purpurea extract liquid;
- Echinacea Hexal;
- Ekhinatsin liquidum.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Store in a place protected from light and moisture at a temperature up to 25 ° C. Keep out of the reach of children.
- tablets, homeopathic granules - 2 years;
- lozenges, lozenges - 3 years.