The onset of a fever without an increase in body temperature can occur under the influence of many external factors - stress, being in a cold room, etc. The person himself complains that he is “freezing”, and it is for this condition that the temperature does not increase. body.
Numerous factors can cause unpleasant sensations, but most often the reasons lie in the malfunctioning of individual internal organs, or even entire systems. Sometimes it is impossible to figure out what caused such a condition on its own, and then there is only one way out - to seek help from a medical specialist.
The main task is to identify and eliminate the causes of indisposition, because they often lie in the development of dangerous pathological processes. Failure to respond to a deviation, or its complete disregard, can cause irreparable harm to health, because a person without medical education will not be able to determine the source of the ailment, or take the right measures to eliminate his disease.
The main causes of chills without fever
The following are the most common causes of chills without increasing body temperature.
- The initial stage of influenza or acute respiratory disease (ARI). In this case, the temperature rise does not yet occur, but the feeling of chills already makes itself felt. When an organism is attacked by viruses, such a symptom may indicate that the body is fighting against foreign agents. Thus, the body signals that there are health problems. In this case, warm drink with the addition of honey, raspberry or lemon will help to warm up. You can also make a warm foot bath with soda or decoction of medicinal plants.
- Neurocirculatory dystonia (VVD). This disease is currently poorly understood. It is accompanied by a decrease in the capillary tone, resulting in an unreasonable chill without temperature, a decrease in blood pressure, dizzy spells, heat intolerance, etc. The symptoms of this pathological condition are so varied and sometimes contradictory to each other that it is almost impossible to suspect the disease on your own.
- Horse racing Sharp changes in blood pressure indicators are often accompanied by the occurrence of chills without an increase in body temperature. But most often this symptom is observed in hypertensive patients, so if a person regularly feels attacks of unreasonable chills, and at the same time the body temperature does not go beyond the norm, he needs to consult a doctor and get tested.
- Emotional disorders. Chills without fever, accompanied by tremors in the muscles, may be the result of regular stress, triggering the release into the blood of a large number of catecholamines. The increased concentration of these hormones has a direct effect on the muscles, resulting in tremors in the body. When a sharp dilation of the blood vessels occurs, the opposite effect is observed. At this point, the person is experiencing a surge of heat, which "spreads" throughout the body. In addition to chills, the body may react to stressful situations by increased heart rate and breathing, a short bout of hypertension, noise or tinnitus. The person begins to feel causeless anxiety, concern.
- Hypothermia Often, chills without fever occur on the background of hypothermia. In this case, the person feels a shiver all over the body and a cold snap of the arms and legs. As a rule, chills occur after the cold environment has been replaced by a warm place to stay. By behaving in this way, the body tries to naturally resume normal thermoregulation. A warm drink will help you to get rid of unpleasant sensations - tea with lemon and honey, cocoa, or just a glass of warmed milk.
- Unusual manifestation of an allergic reaction. Quite often, chills without a temperature are observed in people who have eaten an allergenic product. It can be anything, honey, pollen, nuts, etc. In parallel with the chills, an allergic person notes the appearance of headaches, swelling of the mucous membranes of the mouth and nose, itching in the body.
- Pathology of infectious origin, or poisoning (in particular, food). During the first few hours, these pathological conditions occur without an increase in body temperature. When poisoning, chills are often accompanied by diarrhea, nausea, dizziness, vomiting. Under such circumstances, it is necessary to take an antidiarrheal and antiemetic agent, and to see a doctor as soon as possible.
- Disruption of the circulatory system. Often, complaints of chills without increased body temperature are made by people who have problems with the work of the circulatory system. Insufficient blood circulation leads to a lack of heat, so in these patients, in addition to chills, there is also a cooling of the limbs, perhaps even on a permanent basis.
- Pathology of the endocrine system. The thyroid gland is directly involved in the process of thermoregulation of the body. With a decrease in T4 and T3 levels, this body function is disturbed, as a result of which a person feels chilly, shivering through the body, general weakness, and other equally unpleasant symptoms. Another disease, accompanied by chills without fever, is diabetes mellitus. An increase in glucose level not only leads to chills, this deviation is also accompanied by thirst, dry skin, and tremor of the extremities. It should be noted that falling sugar levels can also lead to chilliness.
- Gastrointestinal dysfunction. Gastritis or gastric cancer is also often accompanied by a feeling of chills, while the temperature remains normal. In parallel, a person has acute abdominal pain, nausea, bloating, heartburn attacks. If these pathologies were not found, the patient is undergoing additional examinations to determine the causes of indisposition.
Selected Causes of Chills in Women
In addition to the previously considered causes, the occurrence of chills without increasing body temperature in women can be explained:
- the onset of premenstrual syndrome;
- migraine attacks;
- hyperhidrosis, which can develop with inflammation of sweat glands, endocrine pathologies, diseases of internal organs, or with tuberculosis.
In the above cases, chills may occur regardless of the time of day. If it occurs during the night, most likely, we are talking about hypothyroidism in women.
Chills without fever
Chills without fever in pregnant women may occur due to the above described deviations. But other factors can cause this symptom:
- the development of SARS or influenza;
- transferred stress;
- an attack of the IRR;
Another cause of chills without a fever in pregnant women can be a state of shock or collapse.
A feeling of coldness in expectant mothers is considered normal if it:
- occurs during the first weeks of pregnancy, and then passes independently;
- has no associated symptoms in the form of abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, panic attacks, cough, diarrhea;
- not accompanied by bloody vaginal discharge.
Spontaneous abortion in early pregnancy can also cause chills without fever. Along with this symptom, a woman has severe abdominal pain, accompanied by vaginal bleeding.
Pregnancy freezing is another cause of chills without fever. In this case, this symptom is a sign of intoxication of the body, which developed on the background of the death of fetal tissues and their penetration into the bloodstream. In addition to chilliness, women with a frozen pregnancy feel severe weakness, nausea and dizziness.
Hypertension may be accompanied by chills in the second half of pregnancy. These symptoms are evidence of the development of pre-eclampsia - a condition that is dangerous to the health of the expectant mother and the life of the fetus. Gestosis requires compulsory treatment, since its uncontrolled course can lead to extremely serious complications, including death and the woman and the unborn child.
Chills with menopause
In the period of menopause begins an active hormonal adjustment of the woman's body. The extinction of reproductive function can not affect the general condition of the patient, so in this case, fever without temperature, alternating with hot flashes, and accompanied by excessive sweating and irritability, is quite understandable symptom.
Chills during lactation
The causes of chills in the post-natal period are mostly consistent with those during pregnancy. Another deviation that can cause this symptom, and is characteristic only for nursing mothers, is lactostasis. To alleviate the condition, a woman only needs to regularly express milk, so that it does not stagnate and does not form lumps in the tissues of the breast.
Often, women who have given birth have developed or recurred thyroid pathologies or diseases of other parts of the endocrine system: hypothyroidism, diabetes mellitus, Hashimoto thyroiditis. Damage to the pituitary gland with the subsequent occurrence of hypopituitarism is also a common cause of chills in women in labor.
To confirm or deny the presence of pathologies of the endocrine system and, in particular, the thyroid gland, it is necessary to pass a blood test for thyroid hormones T3, T4, TSH, and undergo an ultrasound of the thyroid gland.
In order to make an accurate diagnosis in the presence of a fever without a patient's temperature, the doctor must perform diagnostic procedures in the form of a physical examination and anamnesis. On the basis of the data obtained by a specialist, a decision is made to conduct
- clinical studies of blood and urine;
- fluorography or radiography;
- biochemical analysis of blood;
- radiological examination of internal organs;
- STD tests;
- immunological tests.
The examination scheme is developed by the attending physician individually for each patient. If we are talking about a pregnant woman or a nursing mother, X-rays, if possible, exclude.
Specific methods of therapy are directly dependent on the root causes of chills without fever. When an infectious etiology of the symptom is prescribed antibacterial drugs. The patient must comply with bed rest and diet. In addition to antimicrobial drugs, the patient may be prescribed antipyretics and vitamins.
Food poisoning requires the use of sorbents, rehydration agents, antiemetic and antidiarrheal drugs. In this case, dieting is also mandatory.
If a chill without fever results from an STD or systemic pathology, a course of basic therapy is performed. Medicines are selected individually for each patient, taking into account the individual characteristics of the organism and the clinical manifestations of the pathological process.
Causes of chills without fever, or when you need to see a doctor
Some situations, accompanied by the appearance of a fever without increasing body temperature, require mandatory treatment to the doctor. So, make an appointment with a specialist if:
- In addition to chills without fever, the patient complains of abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Such symptoms may indicate acute intestinal infection, which requires mandatory medical intervention. With such complaints, the patient can turn to a general practitioner or a gastroenterologist.
- There is a skin rash, which, along with chills, may indicate the presence of an allergic reaction.
- The patient has a runny nose, cough, muscle weakness and body aches. These pronounced symptoms may be talking about SARS or flu.
- If the chills are accompanied by atypical symptoms - skin hyperemia, vesicular rash, etc. Especially often these clinical signs appear in patients who have visited exotic countries, so they require special attention from the infectiologist.
- If a chill occurs daily, or with suspicious regularity, it is recommended to consult a cardiologist and undergo the necessary diagnosis. Such a symptom may indicate hypertension, which requires mandatory treatment.
It is important to understand that all the previously considered causes and methods of therapy for chills without fever are not a guide to self-treatment. Such a symptom may indicate serious, and even dangerous health problems, so you cannot ignore it, but you shouldn’t take any measures to eliminate it at your own discretion.