Diaper rash is an inflammatory disease of the skin that has a bacterial, viral or fungal etiology.
In men, pathology is often caused by skin irritation, prolonged stay of urine and sweat on the surface of the epidermis, and friction. At the first stage, the disease is easily treated, and with the right approach, it passes after 2 days. If the pathology is started, the therapy will be longer.
In this case, it is based on the use of antibacterial agents and preparations for local (external) use.
Causes of diaper rash
Diaper rash in men is also called intertrigo. The disease usually affects the skin folds in the groin, neck, and the spaces between the fingers. Friction and irritation of the epidermis are the main provocateurs of the pathological process.
In addition, doctors emit other causes of diaper rash in men. It:
- Increased sweating, or hyperhidrosis. It may have a primary or secondary nature (with the IRR, cardiovascular diseases, endocrine disorders, etc.).
- Imbalance of microflora genitals. This problem occurs when the urethra is in contact with skin folds. With the accumulation of urine on the skin of the genitals and lateral folds, there is an active multiplication of microflora, which becomes the cause of diaper rash.
- Neglect of intimate hygiene rules. Rare visiting the shower and carrying out the necessary hygienic procedures leads to the active reproduction of pathogenic microflora. In addition, the abuse of soaps and gels (excluding sex gels) can irritate the skin, dry it, reducing the amount of natural lubricants emitted.
- Poor quality underwear. Wearing tight or synthetic underpants or swimming trunks can lead to chafing, irritation, cracking of the skin of the groin, which creates favorable conditions for the reproduction of pathogenic microorganisms.
- Epidermofitiya, dermatomycosis, streptoderma.
- Allergy to synthetic fabrics, cosmetic products, hygiene products.
- Overweight. During walking, an obese man sweats heavily, resulting in friction of the inner thighs. Against this background, there is diaper rash.
In infants, diaper rash in the groin may be due to:
- Untimely change of diapers. If the child is in the same diaper for a long time after a bowel movement, uric acid begins to affect the skin. The result is skin irritation and the appearance of diaper rash.
- Wrong choice of diapers. Saving on high-quality products and opting for synthetic diapers is also a cause of skin irritation and the appearance of diaper rash. The same applies to the wrong choice of the size of children's hygiene products.
- Insufficient care of the genitals of the child after the emptying of the bladder or intestines.
- Allergies to fragrances and other substances found in children's hygiene products.
- Inadequate nutrition. Introducing the first supplements correctly is extremely important. If you violate these rules, there is an increase in skin sensitivity and increased intestinal motility. Due to frequent acts of defecation and urination, the skin begins to intensively peel.
- Hypolactasia (lactose intolerance) or hypersensitivity to other foods.
- Hyperthermia. It is not only about the pathological fever. This may well be caused by banal overheating. Subsequently, the child will often suffer from diaper rash in the groin.
- Infectious skin lesions.
Also bedridden patients often suffer from diaper rash.
Symptoms and stages
The main signs that accompany the appearance of diaper rash in the groin are:
- discomfort in the groin;
- rubbing feeling;
- skin groin redness;
- hyperemia of the epidermis;
- burning and itching.
If the rules of intimate hygiene are not followed, secondary infection is added. Subsequently, a person has pain and discomfort when walking. Inflammation is accompanied by a rash, redness, swelling, difficulty sitting.
The disease goes through 3 stages of development.
- Easy form. The patient complains of the occurrence of itching, burning, redness, discomfort in the groin. At this stage, an unpleasant smell may be absent.
- The second (middle) stage. There are symptoms of inflammation in the form of a rash, swelling, redness, burning, severe discomfort during walking, an unpleasant smell.
- The third stage. The patient complains of severe irritation, severe redness and intense inflammation of the skin in the groin area. At this stage, itching, burning, cracks of various sizes and depths appear. Often there is the development of eczema, and the occurrence of pustular eruptions.
Determining the presence of diaper rash in the groin alone is not difficult, but sometimes it is difficult to establish the cause of its occurrence. Therefore, in the event of the occurrence of the previously described symptoms, it is recommended to consult a dermatologist and undergo the necessary examination.
How to treat diaper rash at home?
Treatment depends on the stage and associated symptoms.
- In case of a mild course of the pathological process, topical agents are prescribed - ointments, gels, creams, talc, powder. Mandatory is the use of antiseptics. Combined medications are used as needed.
- In the second stage of diaper rash, antibiotics, antimycotics, anti-inflammatory, antihistamine and antiviral agents are usually used. It all depends on the type and pathogen of pathologists who developed with the accession of a secondary infection.
- In the presence of ulcers, erosions or cracks, wound-healing ointments, talkers, and UV radiation are used. To eliminate inflammation and accelerate wound healing, lotions and baths are made on the basis of decoctions of medicinal plants.
- The third degree of diaper rash is treated with antihistamines and antimicrobials. Good help lotion with tannin, silver nitrate and rivanol. When the wounds heal, it is recommended to lubricate the skin at the site of their localization with zinc ointment.
During the entire therapeutic course, you must:
- Follow the rules of hygiene. Wash with soap should be at least 2 times a day, and in the hot season - more often. For hypersensitive skin, gentle shower gels are recommended, and special intimate gels and soaps are used for the treatment of genitalia.
- Treat the damaged areas with antiseptic solutions - furatsilinom, Chlorhexidine, Miramistinom and so on. To do this, moisten a cotton swab in the medication, and wipe problem areas with it. When the skin is dry, it should be treated with a cream or ointment prescribed by a doctor.
- Monitor the cleanliness of underwear, change it regularly. This is very important because for a certain period of time sweat, urine and particles of feces accumulate on the tissues. They are an excellent breeding ground for pathogens. After washing, the underwear should be ironed with a hot iron.
If you start the treatment in a timely manner, and prevent the transition of the pathology to the second and third stages, then you can limit yourself to the use of antiseptics, and observance of the rules of intimate hygiene. With this approach to therapy, improvement occurs in 2 to 3 days.
Ointments and cream for diaper rash in adults
When sweating in the groin area, it is necessary to apply skin products that have antiseptic, regenerating, anti-inflammatory, drying properties. The best options are:
- Sap. This is an ointment that relieves irritation and inflammation of the skin. The drug consists of an extract of coniferous resin, beeswax, oils of plant origin. Ointment relieves inflammation, eliminates pain and swelling, heals wounds. The positive effect of treatment is observed already in 2 - 3 days.
- Panthenol. Panthenol - provitamin B5, which has wound-healing and analgesic properties. It is advisable to use it only at the end of the therapeutic course, when the infectious-inflammatory process is eliminated. If you start using it earlier, it can lead to the spread and deepening of the pathological process.
- Levomekol. Antibacterial, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory and wound healing ointment containing chloramphenicol (chloramphenicol). It is used for purulent wounds and rashes, has a quick effect. It can be used for lubrication of problem areas, as well as for compresses.
- La Cree - skin cream with a combined composition and providing a complex therapeutic effect. The drug contains extracts of medicinal plants, dexpanthenol, bisabolol. The cream copes well with inflammation and allergic reaction, simultaneously softening and restoring the skin.
- Sudokrem. A preparation containing zinc oxide. This substance is often prescribed to people with problem skin, prone to irritation and cracking. It can be used both for adult men and small boys. The cream cleanses the skin, fights inflammation and infection, protects the epidermis, creating a protective film on its surface. The drug has practically no contraindications. Apply to previously washed and drained skin once a day.
This is not the whole list of drugs used in inguinal diaper rash. The choice of drugs for a running problem should be carried out only together with a dermatologist.
For complex treatment will also suit some folk remedies.
- Treatment of the skin in the groin with vegetable oils. Before use, the selected agent should be heated to body temperature in a water bath. It is best to give preference to olive, sesame or sunflower oil. Lubricate the problem areas after their preliminary cleaning. It is recommended to carry out the procedure at least 2 times a day.
- Herbal infusion. For this purpose, chamomile and calendula flowers, yarrow and sage grass are taken in equal proportions. 1 tsp with a slide of the collection should pour a glass of boiling water and insist until it cools. After this infusion is filtered, and is used for lotions and compresses. You can prepare medicine from all plants, or take them separately. It is necessary to carry out the procedure 3-5 times a day.
- Broth oak bark. Brewing oak bark is necessary according to the above recipe, but first it must be crushed to a powder. The finished product is well filtered and used for lotions, applications, compresses, wiping or washing away. If the bark is cut into larger pieces, then before straining it must be braised for 5 minutes in a water bath. It is necessary to perform therapeutic manipulation at least 3 times a day.
- Aloe juice It has cleansing, soothing, regenerating, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, antimicrobial properties. The aloe vera leaf must be cut in half and attached to the problem areas of the skin where the gel is located. You can also use to wipe fresh aloe juice, or a slurry made from the leaves of a houseplant, twisted in a meat grinder.
If diaper rash has just begun to appear, then folk remedies can be used as an independent method of treatment. In the later stages of the development of pathology, they are used as part of complex therapy.